0% business loans are available to business sites in Wales and Northern Ireland for organisations wishing to to invest in energy efficiency and low-carbon equipment.
- Small and medium size businesses in Wales can apply for a loan.
- Large businesses and public sector organisations are not eligible for interest free loans
- Incorporated businesses trading for at least 12 months & Non-Incorporated businesses trading for at least 36 months (this will include charities, friendly societies, clubs and the like)
The EU definition of an SME is an organisation with:
- Fewer than 250 full time or equivalent employees
- An annual turnover not exceeding €50m (approximately £42.5m) and / or assets not exceeding €43m (approximately £36.5m)
- No controlling interest of more than 25% by a non-SME
EU rules on state aid mean we are not normally able to offer business loans for the acquisition or adaptation of vehicles, or to organisations involved in agricultural or fisheries products (production, processing, or marketing prior to the first sale), or export-related activities.
How much can be borrowed?
Business loans are available from £3,000 – £100,000. The size of the loan offered and its repayment period will be based on the projected CO2 savings of a project, which will be assessed by the Carbon Trust.
Multiple loans are available up to the maximum loan amount.
Which projects qualify?
We can give £1,000 of loan for every 1.5 tCO2 saved per annum for a project.
Many types of project will be considered, provided they meet the on-site fossil fuel saving requirement. Examples of just some of the projects that could qualify include the following:
- Air conditioning
- Heating controls
- Building insulation
- Heat recovery
- Pipe insulation
- Solar thermal systems
Industrial Process Technologies
- Compressed air fittings
- Materials handling equipment
- Power factor correction
- Process heating
- Process controls
- Variable speed drives
There are many more types of projects that will be considered for a loan, including renewables. Each project will be assessed on its potential to deliver real energy savings, and we will also need to carry out a credit check.
If you’d like to apply for one of our business loans
The following documents will help you complete your application:
- Carbon Trust Loan Application Guide (PDF)
- What we need (PDF)
- How to tick all the boxes – sample documentation guide (PDF)
- Interest free loan Energy Saving Assessment Template (.xls)